Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ugly Sweater Parties

Three times in two days I've been invited to Ugly Sweater Parties. I'm flattered by the invites. I like feeling like I have something to be a part of and the crowds that show up to such social places tend to be interesting and fun to be around. My first sweater party was at Rachel Gianni's house by the Logan Temple three years ago.
But what was different about these invitations was the fact that I was singled out. I was approached by people who knew me fairly well, and it went like this. "Sam, you should come to an Ugly Sweater PArty we're having tonight/tomorrow/this weekend. You've got some sweaters that would be perfect. So, what do you say?"
I didn't know how to respond the first time. I said maybe and walked away with my head down. I thought about it and decided that person (will remain unnamed) was bluntly rude for telling me to my face that she thought I had ugly sweaters. When the second person said something similar I decided to call her out on it.
"So you're saying my sweaters that I wear every day are ugly?"
They denied it flatly and knew me too well to take me totally seriously.
The third person got a loud scolding in a public place from me and they walked away complimenting my sweaters insincerely to try and make up for their flop.
Moral of the story: An ugly sweater used or bought only for cheesy parties to one person is another person's only defense against hypothermia.
Stand up for what you wear and don't worry too much about what you wear because someone will just call it ugly.

3 comments:

Scott Abbott said...

ah sam, what a storyteller you are. so did you go to any of the parties? perhaps i'll give you an even uglier sweater for christmas!

Tawny Christensen said...

i think it's pretty sweet that somebody took notice to your impeccable style! sincerely, an ugly sweater party can't always just be for people who go and buy stuff, you know? the fact that you have so little pride and enough fashion-sense to wear an "ugly" sweater is your business and your accomplishment for that matter! I think it's a good thing. I hope you went, and I hope you won the crowd with your rockin sweater.

Tim said...

Sam at least you get invited to parties.